Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tutorial Definitions of Builds
Nothing makes me more depressed than finding out that the person controlling the female avatar is a male.  The next saddest thing I hear is when people can not build in Second Life for some reason.  Be it because they have no experience, or they’re too afraid, or something else.  Which strikes me as strange, since no one taught me how to build.  I would go into more detail, but after having the power go out a total of four times while typing this and loosing all my progress each time… I’m just going to jump right into it.

I should note, that Second Life (SL) works identically to Mobius, though Mobius doesn't charge you for uploading and Mesh always cost one prim.

[Image: loe%20border_zpsv8qd0boc.png]

The first thing you need to know is what a Primitive, or Prim is.  A Prim is the simplest of all building blocks of SL.  They can be almost any size and shape, be it a sphere, cube, torus, ring and so on.  They can also be twisted, hollowed out, sliced, and plenty more.  Prims support up to eight texture face, if the shape has that many sides.  I like to think of Prims as atoms, since both are used to build everything else.

The next thing would be Sculpts.  They are fairly different to Prims in that, while they can be rezised easily, they can not be hollowed out, sliced or twisted after they’re uploaded.  On top of that, they only have one texture face.  Sculpts can be virtually any shape you desire, but have to be created outside of SL in an external program.  You’ll then have to upload the Sculpt as a vibrantly colored texture, called a Sculpt Map.  SL will read the colors off of the Sculpt Map, and from that it translates it into a shape.  One Sculpt is always worth one Prim.  One of the biggest drawbacks of a Sculpt is it’s physical boundaries or its collision detection.  Sculpts are known to have horrible collision detection.  For example, if you make an arch way, people will not be able to walk through the large opening of the arch way.

(07-15-2015, 08:55 PM)Spyker Mobian Wrote:
After upload, you can actually turn them inside out and/or mirror them with the relevant controls in the build tools window.  Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with their collision detection; rather, the collision area is always a sphere, slightly smaller than a sphere prim of the same scale would be.  If you're using them for avatar parts, though, then their collision area is kinda moot, anyway.

The newest addition to SL is Mesh.  Mesh works similarly to Sculpts in that they need to be made in an external program and uploaded, though not as a texture, but as a .DAE or Collada.  They too, can not slice, twist, or hollow their shape after being uploaded.  Unlike a Sculpt, they can support up to eight texture faces.  They are usually easier to make than a Sculpt as well.  Unfortunately, Mesh may cost as low as half a prim to hundreds of prims.  It all depends how many polygons are used to make it (polygons are triangles that make a Mesh’s shape)..  And, if you upload the physics with the Mesh at the same time, you can create a proper collision detection to the Mesh.  Though this might increase how much the Mesh costs in terms of Prims..

Now that you know the basic building blocks, you’ll need to know what more than one is.  An Object, or Link Set, is one or more of the Prims, Sculpts, or Mesh in any combination of the three.  The Prims can be moved around as one set or Object all at once.  Objects can also be stretched to other sizes, though it’s a bit more limited due to having multiple Prims.  The Prims in the Object will be one of two things.  A Root Prim is the last Prims selected and where the Link Set is oriented upon.  Putting Scripts into the Root Prim will usually only affect the Object as a whole.  There is always a Root Prim to every Object, but never more than one.  A Child Prim is all other Prims in an Object that are not the Root Prim.  Putting Scripts into a Child Prim usually only affect the Child Prim its in.  Scripts are text like document that can be put into the Contents tab of a Prim.  In short, they are the AI that can make the Prims or Objects do things, like shoot out more Prims (like bullets) or explode (like a bomb).  If you can think of it, you can do it - so long as you know how.

Land Impact is a little hard to explain.  While Prim Count is how many prims are in a single Object, Land Impact is how much of an impact the Object has on the server.  While Prim Count can’t be lowered, Land Impact (or LI) can be with a few tricks.  You can change the Object’s “features” (under the features tab) from Prim to Convex or even to None.  Though each comes with a the cost of collision detection.  This is how you can get Meshes that are have a LI of half to work.  If you link two half as an object, they only count as one LI.  Conversely where if you have them as separate Objects, each on their own will have a LI of one since it always rounds up.

[Image: loe%20border_zpsv8qd0boc.png]

Lets recap...

[Image: kyc8z_zpskz85tgf8.gif] PRIMS = The simplest form of an object.
[Image: kyc8z_zpskz85tgf8.gif] SCULPTS = Unique prims that get their shape through a texture.
[Image: kyc8z_zpskz85tgf8.gif] MESH = A prim built out of polygons.
[Image: kyc8z_zpskz85tgf8.gif] OBJECT = One or more Prims, Sculpts, or Mesh linked together.
[Image: kyc8z_zpskz85tgf8.gif] PRIM COUNT = How many Prims, Sculpts and Mesh are used to create an Object.
[Image: kyc8z_zpskz85tgf8.gif] LAND IMPACT = How much stress the Object has on a server.
[Image: kyc8z_zpskz85tgf8.gif] ROOT PRIM = The last Prim selected when the Object was formed and orients to.
[Image: kyc8z_zpskz85tgf8.gif] CHILD PRIM = The other Prims of an Object that are not the Root Prim.
[Image: kyc8z_zpskz85tgf8.gif] SCRIPT = A text like document that gives the Prim or Object a form of AI.
Needs more dakka...
thanks tim thats a very awsome straight to the point topicBig Grin
I feel the need to elaborate just a tad more on Sculpties. After upload, you can actually turn them inside out and/or mirror them with the relevant controls in the build tools window. Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with their collsion detection; rather, the collision area is always a sphere, slightly smaller than a sphere prim of the same scale would be. If you're using them for avatar parts, though, then their collision area is kinda moot, anyway.
I come from a place that is said to be Unreal...
(07-15-2015, 08:55 PM)Drake Spyker Wrote: I feel the need to elaborate just a tad more on Sculpties.  After upload, you can actually turn them inside out and/or mirror them with the relevant controls in the build tools window.  Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with their collsion detection; rather, the collision area is always a sphere, slightly smaller than a sphere prim of the same scale would be.  If you're using them for avatar parts, though, then their collision area is kinda moot, anyway.

Oh yeah!  I'll add that to the original post now.
Needs more dakka...